Tuesday, January 24, 2012

.


I love toying with
the keys to my demise –
So much so
that every glimpse I have
of the end of my life
is enough to make me
bare my teeth
and challenge it,
to laugh hysterically
and offer up wild 
chants and hymns,
punctuated with profanity.
It is not my youth,
nor is it an inflated sense
of invincibility
that makes me stretch
the elastic of life and
death.
It is an unabashed desire
to suck all the juice I can
out of this existence,
and when I have had my fill
to fling myself unapologetically
into the mouth of Never,
knowing that ‘could have’
‘should have’
and ‘would have’
went in the other direction.


Rachel J. Clark

2 comments:

  1. I love that opening. yep, I swear i constantly dare destruction to take a swing at me, and it always obliges, is always up for a fight.
    and your finish puts regret in its proper place.
    nice write
    rick

    ReplyDelete

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.